Tuesday 22 February 2011

IMPLICATION


Definition : An implication, symbolized by pq, is an if-then statement in which p 
is a hypothesis and q is a conclusion. The logical connector in a conditional statement
is denoted by the symbol . The conditional is defined to be true unless 
a true hypothesis leads to a false conclusion. A truth table for pq is shown below.

Example 1:
Given:
p: I do my homework.
q: I get my allowance.
Problem:
What does pq represent?

Solution:
In Example 1, p represents, "I do my homework," and q represents "I get my 
allowance." The statement pq is a conditional statement which represents 
"If p, then q.
p
q
pq
T
T
T
T
F
F
F
T
T
F
F
T

Example 2:

Given:
a: The sun is made of gas.
b: 3 is a prime number.
Problem:
Write ab as a sentence. Then construct a truth table for this conditional.


Solution: The conditional ab represents "If the sun is made of gas, then 
3 is a prime number."
a
b
ab
T
T
T
T
F
F
F
T
T
F
F
T


Example 3:
Given:
r: 8 is an odd number.
false
s: 9 is composite.
true
Problem:
What is the truth value of  rs?

Solution:Since hypothesis r is false and conclusion s is true,the implication
r→ s



No comments:

Post a Comment